Injectable hydrocortisone is given intramuscularly, which means that it is injected into a large muscle. When giving yourself an injection, the easiest and best place to give it is in the thigh on the same side as your dominant hand (for example, the right thigh if you are right-handed). Adults should always carry injectable medication with them, when they travel. If you have a child with AI, you or the child’s caregiver must always carry the child’s medication. If the child is in school, the school nurse must know about your child’s condition.
1. Assemble all supplies:
alcohol wipes (2)
syringe (3 ml) & 2 needles (22 gauge)
gauze pads/cotton swabs
2. Push firmly on the yellow top of the vial to release the cork separating the liquid from the dry powder by placing it on a hard surface and pushing on the top of the vial with the palm of your hand.
3. Gently mix the solution without shaking to avoid creating bubbles. Roll the vial in your hands to mix the solution until clear.
4. Remove the plastic tab that covers the rubber stopper. Wipe the top of the Act-O-Vial with an alcohol wipe.
5. Remove needle cap. Pull the plunger back to the 2 ml mark and insert the needle into the vial through the rubber stopper. Turn vial upside down and push the plunger in. This creates pressure inside the vial making it easier to withdraw the liquid. Draw the medication into the syringe keeping the needle below the fluid level.
6. Hold the syringe with the needle up and expel air from the syringe by pushing up on the plunger. If there are bubbles, tap on the wall of the syringe with your finger. The bubbles should rise to the top and the air can be expelled.
7. Select the site for your injection. Imagine your thigh divided into three equal portions, from the knee to the hip. The outer portion of the central third of your thigh is where you will do the injection.
8. Use alcohol to clean injection site on your skin. Allow alcohol to dry. Hold syringe like a dart. Using your thumb and first two fingers, spread your skin while pushing down lightly.
9. Hold syringe firmly, give injection by quickly inserting needle fully through the skin surface into muscle layer going straight in at a 90-degree angle. Push plunger until the dose is fully injected. This will only take around 10 seconds.
10. After injecting medication, place gauze near needle, pull needle out at the same angle. Press gauze over injection site, massage gently. Dispose of syringe and needle into a Sharps Container or a hard-unbreakable container.